Have you forgotten the social part of Social Media? If you are not getting the interaction that you want, then you might be guilty of acting as a one-way selling store on your social media platform. It simply doesn’t work.
You might wonder, “but what do I post about if it’s not about trying to sell retail or services from my salon? Do I talk about the weather or what I had for breakfast?”
To help answer that question I’ve compiled a list of 20 types of posts that will keep your creative juices flowing and put ‘the SOCIAL’ back into your salon’s Facebook/Twitter pages.
Once you’ve read the list, please continue reading below to making a plan!
- Quotes: Humorous, inspiring or motivational quotes always perform well… not sure where to find them? Google Motivational or Inspirational Quotes.
- Fill-in-the-blank posts (e.g. “If I had $1 million I would _________”)
- Polls: either use Facebook’s built in polls or create one manually (e.g. “Which of these hair products is your favorite?”)
- Behind-the-scenes photos: Take candid shots of yourself, your employees, or snap a shot of your salon or spa.
- Statistics or data: Share new, relevant industry statistics. Again Google or look to your supplier or distributor’s websites for statistics.
- Questions: Pose simple, basic questions that your followers can answer quickly.
- Product photos: Work best on sites like Pinterest or Instagram. Think about how you can add a unique angle to the shots (e.g. an employee actually using the product, a customer-submitted photo, etc.).
- Fan photos: Search for hashtags related to your salon or products, and share a customer photo on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
- A day in the life post: Give a recap of a typical day in the life of a hair stylist, esthetician, make-up artist, skin therapist, salon manager, etc.
- Share random tips: Periodically post a random tip or trick your followers would find useful. Make it fun and use random tip numbers, this adds interest to your post (e.g. Tip #132: __________)
- Share a work/life balance tip: Your social media followers want to know you’re a real person with the same struggles as them. Share a tip you’ve learned for balancing work, life and family.
- Take a trip down memory lane: Share photos of old logos, old packaging of products, or old hairstyles – Throw back Thursdays for example!
- Hold a photo contest: Ask for photo submissions and then get your fans to vote. Share the winning photos!
- ‘Caption this’: Post a photo and ask your fans to come up with creative or funny captions.
- Share country-specific holidays: Wish your followers happy holidays for all major holidays, and you can even do this for obscure ones, to be a little quirky.
- Profile an employee: Let your followers know they’re dealing with real people.
- Post a ‘truth or fiction’ question: Let your fans guess whether it’s the truth or a myth.
- Fan of the month: Acknowledge your salon ambassadors and let them know they’re appreciated.
- Thank your fans: A simple thank you can go a long way to building connections with your fans, do this at least every couple of months.
- Hold a giveaway: This can be as simple as asking your fans or followers to comment to enter.
It’s Time to Make a Plan!
Now, take out a calendar, and mark down the TYPE of post(s) you will post EVERY day of the month, for EVERY month for the next quarter. You don’t need to know the details of your post yet, but as you look through the list above, you will see they all have a different flavor. Once you know the type of post for each day, when it comes time to make the post it will be much easier to come up with the content.
Add 8 ‘sales days’ to each month where you will post a salesy post; it’s ok to do so now since the majority of your posts are no longer salesy! Instead you are now engaging socially!